re: bounciness, keepin' up in the Black Forest

>  From: "Jonathan Schulster" <Schulster@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 08/01/2000 10:40:
>  Hi STers,
>  thanks for all the stuff on the GenMar risers.  Neil's seems to be unique in
hitting the fairing support - any others in Europe have this problem?  The
11/4" does seem ideal from a comfort point of view. I think the heated grips
help too.  Maybe I am just getting old......
>  A mate yesterday noticed the 'ST' on the side, and commented that it must
stand for 'Sofa - touring'..... he has a VTR and its hard to keep up in the
Black Forest.
>  One problem is definitely the suspension settings.  Could someone recommend
the ideal settings for a person weighing 80kg fully kitted up?

	Well, here's my completely unscientific, subjective opinion. Remember
that it's free and you get what you pay for. I'm probably about 115 - 120 Kg
suited up and I increased the preload one full turn on the front and two full
turns on the rear. It keeps the bellypan from scraping. My handling was much
improved by having the tires changed to a Dunlop D207 front and D205 rear, much
more improved than the preload settings affected it.
	I'm pretty amateur when it comes to corner carving, I'll freely admit,
but I've noticed a few things in my limited experience: speed has much more to
do with rider skill than the machine he's riding, and fewer, bigger cylinders
generally means more midrange torque, which is easier to ride quickly. The ST
has really good midrange, but not like a V-twin with a slight displacement
advantage (996cc vs 955cc). So my amateur advice is: keep those revs up if
you're trying to beat a twin, get better tires, and if you still can't catch
him go to track school.
	I don't mean that in a demeaning way. We can all improve our skills,
I'm sure. I've read everything I can lay my hands on, and have especially liked
Keith Code for getting through corners quicker. Cloverleafs at intersections
make some good, tight practice here in the states - corners with a radius of
anywhere from 80 ft (25m) down to about 25ft (8m), many decreasing. MCN
recently put out a  book on proficient motorcycling that's pretty good general
survival knowledge, too. But even books and practice are no substitute for
professional training, IMHO.

FWIW,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"