RE: (dyno charts)

> Subject: RE:
>
> > From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On
> > Behalf Of Marc Cook
> >
> > We did have a problem with color coding on the comparison
> > dyno chart. The raw numbers I have here show peak horsepower
> > of 93.6 at 9500 rpm and peak torque of 61.5 ft-lb @ 5250.
> > (That's a very impressive spread between peak torque and hp.)
> > I don't have the dyno chart from the Sprint ST we tested,
> > but 94 hp shows about a 13% drop from claimed crank hp to
> > rear-wheel hp; pretty typical.

I can't find the root of this message....

FYI, I spoke with a Triumph rep on their stand at the NEC (Birmingham, UK)
last year, and was informed that the quoted ST power figure of 80.6 kW (108
bhp) is a crankshaft figure, inferred from a reading at the gearbox exit
shaft.

My ST (see web page/FAQ/dynos) shows some example power losses in the drive
train. I'm afraid I couldn't overlay some other figures onto this diagram,
but for reference:

Power losses:  4.7% (crankshaft to gearbox)
               4.8% (gearbox to wheel = chain)
               8.1% (wheel to road/roller = tyre)

Although I'm clear what the readings for my bike mean, I'm not so sure that
everyone else is 'singing from the same hymn-sheet' on this one, as the
above figures show there is a significant difference between 'wheel' and
'road' figures.

Incidentally, the figures are now quoted (in Europe at least) as measured in
compliance with EC 95/1 (as opposed to DIN 70020). I originally believed
these to be humidity, temperature and pressure normalisations, but with my
road power figures of 96.6 DIN and 93.3 EC, I begin to doubt this.

Can anyone explain either or both of these standards, and/or provide URLs?

BRG