Re: 6,000 mile update

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:25:51 -0700, you wrote:

>Hey all,
>	I just got my Y2K ST back from the dealer (CalBMW-Triumph) where it had
>its 6K service. They gave it a clean bill of health. Even the rear brake
>pad looked in good shape.

While we are the subject of 6K services, here's my two cents. I'm doing my
own service and here's what I have discovered so far.

1) I had various loose fasteners. The most critical of the bunch was a
clip-on bolt that was finger tight. It was easiest to spot because it was
higher than the rest.  I wanted to do a thorough cleaning so I took the
body work off. The fasteners of  one of the mounting brackets for the
fairing  was loose.  I had to snug up various others. Moral of the story,
check out everything every once in a while. I will be re torquing all the
major stuff tomorrow.

2) I have never pulled the front sprocket cover before. HOLY COW what a
mess it was in there. Now I know where all that chain wax lube went, and,
you better believe it has wax in it. I will be looking at that more often
in the future!

3) My brakes finally succumbed to the loss of travel problem. The curious
thing is, I believe mine happened all in one step change and not gradually.
I'm hoping a simple bleeding of the brakes will do the trick but I'm
prepared to clean up the whole assemble.

I'll report any other significant finds if they occur. Now back to your
regularly scheduled diet of the Survivor Series and Big Brother.

Ken "Super Dawg" Pickett
00 ST Black (Wants to be Silver)
Apopka, FL

End of st-digest V2000 #402