Re: Tyres,Chains Fuel Gauge,Hard Luggage

Daryl,

Tyres;
I've been running a set of Pirelli Dragon GTS since wearing out the stock
BT57's and I have been very pleased with their performance, wet, dry and
longevity.  I had a new rear put on at the 12k service in June, and at
almost 20k now they are alittle squared, but looking good.  I have been
running the same front since about 9k.  I used to have a 50 mile round trip
too work, but they recently moved the office, round trip is now about 30
miles, drat.  Otherwise I do twisties on the weekends, and a few long
superslab trips to more interesting places to ride twisties there, like
Colorado and North Carolina.  I'm based in St. Louis, Missouri.
There has been alot of variance in longevity on the BTT57's, I got over 8k
on the rear, others have gotten substantially less.  I think it really
depends on riding style.

Chain and sprocket life;
I am one of the worst people about keeping the chain lubed, and adjusted.
My chain was replaced at the 18k service.  The sprockets wern't too bad, but
we, the dealer mechanic and I, decided to change them as well.  The chain is
just like a bearing, you don't just change the bearing without changing the
race it runs in.  At least that was our logic.  We went with a Triumph
chain, I believe it is the Regina X ring, because their wasn't time to
research finding a 'better' or possibly cheaper chain to do the job as well.

What gear, what RPM?
I'd say whatever is comfortable for you is the way you should ride.  You can
ride on the torque all day below 5500-6000 rpm and be happy.  Or you could
rev it to 8000+ and play go dog(dawg).  The motor doesn't seem to be
stressed either way.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen