Subject: semi scientific analysis

Dave,
    Did you look in FAQs under Tyres? Unfortunately, all the info in this
forum and others I have seen is pretty subjective. Owners are usually
comparing their new tires to their worn out ones (their most recent memory).
I just look to see what people say about a particular brand/model in as many
places as possible. If people have a good opinion of a particular tire, it
is pretty safe to buy them. However, people seem to have divergent opinions
on most. Even the sport bike magazines test tires a certain way. I have
never heard of one that loads the panniers and/or takes a passenger along
for the testing. What tires are best, depends on how you use your bike.
    Currently, I have installed a Metzeler ME4Z on the rear (1 week) and
have the front ordered (should be here next week). The BT57s that came with
the bike seemed to fall in slightly on turns and felt a little imprecise
once over, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the BT57 (with 10K is
stepped slightly and cracks which look like sipes appeared from the side
grooves to the center groove) on the front and the ME4Z on the back. Of
course, that is only my opinion. The original BT57 rear showed the cords
(1/4 way around) at 10K after a day at 80+ MPH (with loaded panniers and a
bedroll and tent on the rack) to finish them off, and I would characterize
myself as a moderate rider. I do tend to accelerate when I see curves ahead!
I live in Minnesota, so I ride in temps from 30 (dry) -95 (humid) degrees
Fahrenheit, between April and November (no good motorcycle snow tires!).
Ciao,
Bob - red '99 ST with 11K miles on it

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------