Re: Back

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Matt Knowles wrote:

> >There was an ST that went down (ridden by a Triumph Exec) but it was in a
> >residential area and was most likely due to some freshly cut grass that had
> >been blown into the road.
>
> Freshly cut grass in a residential area? I've hit wet leaves on a road at
> speed leaned over, and while exciting, it didn't make me crash. Was the
> bike his or the company's?

Basically, he was three bikes behind me. We where catching up to
the first couple of riders in the group, I was the first to go
around the corner, that at the apex start to go down hill. About
200-250 down this hill there was an intersection. When I went around
the corner there was a car in the only lane making a left turn. Of
course I applied on the binders, and wound up leaving a 15ft black
mark of my own. I know that Bill, third in line, saw my rear end
twitch and started to slow down, and I am guessing Eric second in
line saw the car as I did, and slowed down. So from talking to
rider in question another car was in the intersection and his wheels
went out from a combination of a greasy centre of the lane, and
fresh grass clippings as he he applied his brakes for a car in the
intersection at the bottom of the hill.

The thing that sucked, is when I noted the grass on the road to
one of the cops, (for the people there, the Woman), and she just
gave me a look and a sigh, to basically say "what else would you
expect after someone just finished cutting their grass".

Sadly enough, the (AFAIK) the owner of the grass clippings just
sat on his front porch and watched, not once asking if he was
okay.

But at least the cops where really good at setting road blocks and
causing a traffic jam :-) And the volunteer firemen get really cool
strobe lights in their person truck lights!

So there is the story, first hand from my left hand mirror. I think
I got all the details correct. From what I understand the rider
got home safely, albiet a bit sore. I am just sad to say we did
not get the pleasure of his company the rest of the day. Of course
to be fair we should mention McGuiver (sp?) who re-atteched the
brake leaver in such a fashion so the bike could be safely riden
the the dealership in Asheville.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664