Re: Saddle sore

Bench Dawg wrote:

>  I've never ridden roads like that before and I
>  expect it will be a while before I get a chance to do it again.

I know, I know!  Being a flat lander is a curse.  As soon as I got home
from the Rallye I asked my wife if we could move _anywhere_ where the
roads weren't straight and flat.  She said no... at least for the
moment.

> So how do the rest of the long-distance crazies on this
> list cope with long distances in extreme heat and humidity?

Saddlesores are the scurge of all cyclists.  As an avid bicyclist (and
former racer), the first rule is to keep your bottom very clean using a
good antibacterial soap and a sponge (but don't scrub so hard as to
irritate or abrade the skin).   Neosporin is a favorite antibacterial
ointment to aid in healing of saddle sores.  If you experience chafing,
check out anti-chafe creams that athletes use (commonly use by
triathletes).  Some riders use vaseline before riding and Bag Balm after
showering.

I usually wear a cycling short liner for long or hot rides.  They arent'
quite cycling shorts (though they look like them), but rather an
undergarment for bicycling made from breathable materials.  These
prevent chaffing (thigh length) and usually are good at wicking moisture
away from sensitive areas.  They also have a small pad which doesn't do
much on the motorcycle but it's not intrusive either.  Cycling shorts
will work too, but the pad is thicker and the material has more
compression (which can be uncomfortable on really long rides).  Also,
stay away from any shorts with a gel pad.

Another option is underwear made from coolmax which is a super
breathable synthetic fiber used for wicking away moisture in athletic
clothing.  I have some cycling jerseys and socks made from coolmax and I
find them quite comfortable even on very hot days.  Cotton undies can't
move the moisture away like some of these newer synthetics.

Both the cycling liner and coolmax briefs can be ordered from local bike
shops as well as  many mail order outfits such www.nashbar.com and
www.coloradocyclist.com.  Specifically, check out:
http://www.nashbar.com/catalog/bike/catalog/bike/all/C/M/UN

Hope this helps,