Re: for Martin R. - Re: donnydogood's conundrum

Don,
  The reason I ask is the CHP will always show up for a ticket.  It is more
often then not that when an officer shows for court that you will be
convicted.  In such cases the only way out would be to take traffic school.
You will pay the fine for the ticket and a 171% "penalty assessment" and for
the school but it doesn't show on your record.  The "penalty assessment" is
a tax even though it is not termed that way.
Also note that you will need to ask for traffic school before the date of
your court date if you are going to go that route.  They will not let you go
to traffic school after when you reach the trial stage.
  What I have done and it has worked is when you receive a ticket and it is
a bullshit ticket I have asked for an extension.  I have taken the most
extensions the court will allow.  I then plead Not-guilty and wait for the
court date.  If the issuing officer is not a CHP he will most likely not
show up.  Local PD especially will not show.  If they don't show the ticket
is thrown out by default.
  Your chances of a US Forest Service Officer showing is unknown.  I take it
that you were in a National Forest?
  Try and research where the officer is working at.  He may not show if he
works upstate.
  This will also be useful information on Forestry folks for tickets.  Maybe
they too are like the CHP and show no matter what.
  Let me know how it turns out.