Subject: Not much to complain about (long)

Amen to what Mr. Flowers says except with 11K on bike:

Rubber edging to low windshield came off when I was going down the freeway
(1 week after I got bike in July '99). Suspect I knocked it loose myself
while washing). The edging I installed on the tall Triumph windshield stays
put.

Rear brakes evaporated at 5000 miles (32 years of riding experience).
Replaced with EBC full metal pads. When rotor wears out, it will be time to
look at new Sprints.

Both bags (panniers) leak when bike is washed. Pretty sure the leak is
around the latch bolts (which loosen from vibration if you don't watch
them). Will fix when I get some spare time.

Get a fast idle occasionally. Can't figure out what condition(s) triggers
it.

Hands go numb, especially right one. This has happened with nearly every
machine I have owned except my GoldWing and XS1100 (Yamaha). Remedies for ST
are to go faster or get taller (spacers) bars. Also, lifting outside palm
off grips momentarily restores feeling.

Clevis pin fell out of rear brake linkage. Suspect cotter pin/clip was never
installed. Luckily, you can get this stuff at the hardware store instead of
from Triumph.

Tires replaced at 10.5K miles with Metzeler MEZ4s (love 'em so far).
Probably should have ditched the Bridgestones at 8K. Don't wait until the
cords show (on bad advice from dealer I stopped at in Parry Sound, ONT. He
said "All sportbike tires look like that". Duh!) like I did.

In stop (mostly) and go traffic, it gives off a lot (asbestos underpants?)
of heat. Avoid stop and go traffic!

Someone mentioned that the box under the seat get filled with water. Yep,
that happens. Drill a drain hole and don't keep anything absorbent in it.

This is my 14th bike. If I ever get one that is perfect, I will be able to
die happy. This is, by far, the best street machine I have ever owned, as it
fits my riding "personality". Definitely not for everyone (especially if you
resemble Willie Nelson or Kenny Rogers and think that more metal means
better built). Just for people who like to go very far, very fast and get to
work on time. I have received more favorable compliments about the
appearance than any bike I have owned (including my Harley). Even from very
unprobable sources. I notice that there are a lot of nitpickers on this
forum. That's OK. They help point the way to improving the machinery. By the
way, mine hasn't leaked. I will be due for the 12K service soon and will
make sure the service dept. knows to watch out for the fuel sender. From the
forum letters, I am suspecting that the leading cause of sender problems is
"servicing" under the tank.

Ciao,
Bob - '99 red ST

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------