tall windscreen initial impressions

	My steal-of-a-deal tall Triumph windscreen arrived this evening from
Erik Miner. Thanks Erik, it's in excellent shape! Swapping windscreens is a
fairly quick and painless operation, so I had to immediately whip out the tools
so I could try it out. I had the new screen on, the bike warmed up, and riding
gear donned at 6:45p, about an hour after dark.
	I've read some past posts about turbulence with the tall screen, so I
kept expecting it. Getting through town at 45 - 50 mph was smooth and quiet.
Getting onto more major roads at around 60 mph proved no different. Finally out
on the interstate at 70 mph to, well, let's just say it got the "triple digit
test"; still no turbulence. The noise is different - not as much wind directly
on the helmet, but a bit of wind noise off of the top edge of the windscreen
itself, I think. Within about 20 minutes I was accustomed to it and didn't even
notice the difference any more.
	Two problems with the tall windscreen: 1. You have to recalibrate your
internal speedmeter: I kept going faster than I thought I was because it was
smoother and quieter. 2. Hard acceleration catches you more off guard because
you're not already leaning into the wind. Gee, if those are the only problems,
and they dissappear when you get accustomed to it, then no problem! Frankly, I
really like the tall windscreen.
	Now I do live in Houston, so I figure it'll have to come off when the
weather warms up again. That's fine, too. Next year we'll see how well full
perf Vanson gear works with less wind.

Winter? What winter? Ride on!

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"