RE: My cross-eyed bike

Hammond, Mark wrote:

>>No, as it says in the latest Department of Transport leaflet, "the law
>>requires that speedometers must include a miles-per-hour display.  Any
>>modified display must be visible in daylight and in darkness"
>
>Okay, that sounds pretty clear to me!
>Would that apply only to bikes or to all motorised road vehicles?

Applies to all motorised road vehicles

The trip across on the Amsterdam-Newcastle ferry was great - I rolled around
a bit (winter waves and beer) but the bike was quite happy down below, well
tied down.  The weather was so good in Newcastle that I just had to go the
short way to Edinburgh - straight over the moors, past the yeehah stone* at
the top of the Carter Bar pass and along all the nice twisty bits in the
Scottish Borders.

The bike is now stateless - deregistered in Germany, not yet registered in
the UK - but according to the dealer in Edinburgh, at nearly 18,000 miles
it's apparently high mileage and worth 4,000 pounds cash with three boxes,
Genmars, noisy pipe etc.  No, I don't want to sell - but my father's not at
all happy about a bike being dumped in his garage (he's an ex-doctor
ex-biker and has worked in casualty too much).

I can't believe 18,000 miles since May 1999 is high mileage for the UK -
hey, do you chaps not ride your bikes or something?

Ducking & running,

Neil
* yeehah stone - the one at the top of the hill, right on the border, where
you stand up on the footpegs and yell "Yeehah, I'm back home in Scotland
again!"