Touring in France

Having managed to get out on the few _almost_ dry days we have had in
Devon this last month on my new toy my mind on these dark winter evenings
is straying to thoughts of a few days in France in the Spring.

I have toured France a few times by car and a couple of years ago I drove
down to stay in a Gite in the Lot valley - Tournon d'Argenais - about 80km
from Matt Pascal I believe. (it's a bit difficult to get SWMBO, 2 kids, 4
mountain bikes and about 200 kilos of luggage on a motorbike - even a
Silver Wing)

Next year I intend to return to tour the area on my Sprint ST a lot less
heavily laden.  In fact SWMBO is still steadfastly refusing to go on the
back and has said I can take one of my dental nurses.  However, I imagine
that offer will be withdrawn the minute I look like taking it up though
......Oh well, I can dream........

Having not toured abroad on a bike I wondered if anyone had any advice
particularly on the following:

1.  Motocycles and Ferries

2.  Enforcement of speed restrictions - leniency towards motorcyclist? (or
not) radar/laser traps and speed cameras **.

3.  Security of the bike in rural France.

4.  Any other issues particularly related to France and motorcycles.

Thanks for your help.

** For those in the UK who are so exhilarated with the thrill of riding
their Triumph and momentarily forget to check their speedo (I believe it
can happen) these sites may be useful to you!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/speedtrap_bible.html
http://www.geocities.com/gatsovtr/gatso.html

- --
Mike Bostock