Re: Carrying a laptop in ST hard cases

In your message regarding Carrying a laptop in ST hard cases dated Wed, 6
Dec 2000 22:09:37 -0800, Craig & Kimberly Kemp said that ...

>C&KK-  ST owners
>C&KK-
>C&KK-  I assume that some of the ST owners out there have a
>C&KK-  laptop computer that they transport to/from work. I am
>C&KK-  looking for a laptop bag/case which will fit inside the
>C&KK-  Triumph hard cases (side cases only).

I was intrigued by this and all the replies it generated.  You see as I
said in my introduction to this list I am a computerholic and only SWMBOs
encouragement has got me back on two wheels again (mind you she has said a
few caustic words about me finding new friends via this list who are both
bikers and emailers - at least before when it was sunny she got the
gardening done - now, if it is raining I am on the computer, if it stops
raining I am on the bike - ergo no gardening is being done).

Anyway back to the point - laptops and motorcycles, and by 'laptops' I am
NOT referring to dental nurses (if your caught a previous post of mine).

It just seems to me here is a heaven-sent business opportunity.  You see
what we need here is the GPS mount (there have been a number of
suggestions both on and off list for which I am very grateful) then a tank
mounted laptop _computer_ also connected to the GPS with a copy of M$
Autoroute running on it (which is capable of using an NMEA compatible
input via a Com port).  So far so good.  Of course if you happen to be in
the UK at the moment the computer needs to be in a waterproof housing.
Now all of this is very distracting and if whilst travelling at 100mph you
have to look down at the computer screen for 1 second you will have
travelled 146 feet - not good especially if the 'cage' (you see I am
beginning to get the terminology here) in front of you has started to
brake.

So what we need is some form of HUD (Head Up Display - for those of you
who are not completely sad and do not have a combat flight sim game on
your computer).  Now I suggested, off list, that maybe an Apache pilot's
helmet might be the answer and have the video feed to the eyepiece.  Even
buying in bulk this could prove expensive and they may not conform to
British Standards for motorcycle wear.  So I think the options probably
are a) a TFT screen on top of the fairing screen so that you don't loose
sight of the road whilst navigating or, preferable, b) some form of mini
video projector onto the visor (the lead could run alongside your intercom
so be unobtrusive).

I am open to suggestions on this.

- --
Mike Bostock