RE: Gearbox Stiffness

I found stiff/notchy shift characteristics to be true on my 98 Thunderbird
Sport and is also true on the 99 ST.  I noticed 2 things:
1st - yes, it does get better with miles/kilometers. The 7-8K miles is about
right for break in.
2nd - Do not short shift during this period if you can help it. I found it
much easier to shift at @ 6000 + RPM.

I had nearly 11,000 miles on the TBS when I traded it in, and it was very
smooth.  Another thing to keep in mind is not to get lazy when you shift.
When you are ready, make sure you make a full stroke. With these in mind, I
found shifting to be absolutely no problem. As for finding neutral, I have
always been in the habit of doing that before coming to a full stop - MUCH
easier.
Bill Findiesen
99 ST - JETT
william.h.findiesen-jr@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:william.h.findiesen-jr@xxxxxxxxxx>