Re: PIAA Lights

Blake,

I am not going to disagree with you, but I will add:

I just put some sylvania super white bulbs on my truck. Why, the
truck has almost 40,000 miles on it and I am about to drive it up
to Canada, pre-emptive strike.

So I replace one bulb and took it for a drive in the country, and
did some very scientific testing. That is my I blocked each head
light with my body for 10 or so seconds at a time. To both my GF
(still in cab, too cold for her to leave), it appeared that the
light was a bit less yellowish, and was a bit more visable throughout
the coverage, left to right.

very subjective, but it was easier to see the road/grass with the
new bulb, over the OEM.

BUT, the old bulb has 38,6** miles on it. Both OEM bulbs had
filliments that where uneven, the bulbs where starting that halogen
death spiral.

As well, these bulbs where $2 more expensive for the set at Walley
World.

FWIW,
Thom

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Blake Sobiloff wrote:

> Keith W Peters wrote:
>

> > "We have had very good reports of our EWC-1 bulbs. These bulbs draw 60
> > watts on main beam and 55 watts on dip beam yet give equivalent power of
> > 110w on main and 100 on dip.
>
> Sorry, but this kind of bunk drives me nutz. There is absolutely no way
>
> that 60w=110w. If you put their bulbs on an integrating sphere you'll find that
>
> they put out the exact same amount of light as "regular" bulbs. The trick
> is that the hot spot produced by these lights *is* brighter, but by
> taking away illumination from the edges. (Edge lighting's useful for
> little things like corners, seeing deer at the side of the roadway, etc.)
>
> Read all the technical details at
> <http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/superwhites/>.
>
> Now, why would you want to spend your money with a company that lies to
> you and charges you a premium on top of it? :-)
>
> Thanks, I feel better now.
>
> --
> Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Burlingame, CA, USA

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664