Re: PIAA Lights

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Blake Sobiloff" <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: December 12, 2000 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: PIAA Lights

> Keith W Peters wrote:
>

> > "We have had very good reports of our EWC-1 bulbs. These bulbs draw 60
> > watts on main beam and 55 watts on dip beam yet give equivalent power of
> > 110w on main and 100 on dip.
>
> Sorry, but this kind of bunk drives me nutz. There is absolutely no way
>
> that 60w=110w. If you put their bulbs on an integrating sphere you'll find
that

> they put out the exact same amount of light as "regular" bulbs.

Blake,

Lightbulb brightness is measured in candela per square metre or per square
inch, NOT watts.  However, wattage comparisons ARE valid when considering
whether the wiring, fuses, receptacles, etc. can stand the heat.  A
particular lightbulb that has increased luminance but doesn't give off
enough extra heat to compromise the circuitry, is a good thing.

Your point about the edge lighting is useful nonetheless, but it is more
relevant when comparing lightbulbs of equivalent luminance.  I think Keith
was assuming that that all bulbs of a particular wattage give off about the
same amount of light, which we know is not the case.

my .02
Neil