Aiming headlights WAS: Headlight heat and power draw

The problem with running high wattage bulbs is that even if you don't
melt something
  (wiring, switches etc) the extra heat CAN discolor the reflectors
inside the headlight. I've actually seen a friends BMW K12RS where he
had put in high wattage bulbs and the silver reflective material had
darkened to the point where the amount of light output was severely
degraded. So much so that the headlight assembly needed replacing..
BIG BUCKS!  Keep in mind that a headlights output given bulbs of
equal wattage is directly proportionate to the size , type , and
quality of the reflectors inside the unit.

Now to get the most from the stock ST/RS headlights (or any
headlights for that matter) the VERY FIRST thing to do is make sure
they are AIMED PROPERLY!  The easiest way to do this is as follows:

Put bike on LEVEL ground about 1-2 feet in front of a wall (garage
door etc). On low beam mark on the wall where the TOP of the light
pattern is.  Now move the bike back 25 feet exactly, the Top of the
low beam pattern should now still be the SAME as the marks that you
placed on the wall. Adjust the headlights accordingly to achieve
this. A tip here is that it's easier to do one headlight at a time..
just cover one at a time with a towel or something. FYI, the hi beam
on an H4 equipped headlight will automatically be correct if the low
beam is set right. One more thing for those that are new to the list
or to the Sprint ( ST and RS) many of us noticed that the bikes as
delivered from the factory had their headlights set VERY low ( mine
weren't even adjusted equally)

I'd say that once you have the headlights aimed correctly, that if
you want to experiment with bulbs, only then will you be able to make
an informed decision on the relative merits of different bulbs..  PS:
I like the PIAA bulbs I have "I think they are better than the stock
ones"

Erik