Failure to idle....

Greetings fellow STers,

Back on  8 Apr 2000, Neil Lindsey and Jim Schroeder both
noticed a "Strange Occurrence...."

[Neil] ... It started up fine but it didn't quite sound
right to me either.  Then a few seconds later it died.
Without turning off the key, I hit the starter and she
fired right up again but the symptom was still there.
It wouldn't run at less than about 1000 rpm ... Then I
decided to actually turn off the key and let it sit for
a few minutes.  When I fired it up again the problem
disappeared.  I reported the problem to my dealer and
they had never heard such symptoms....

My conclusion thus far is that something (maybe the
computer itself) needed a reset that only the power
off/on sequence provided.

> [Jim] Twice recently after shutting off for gas or
> rest, Sable would restart but refuse to idle and
> sounded very puny. However, if I shut off the
> ignition and wait a few seconds, then fire her up
> again, everything was normal. Pro-Italia checked the
> computer (no faults).

Well, I too experienced the dreaded "no idle" fault
just this last Sunday when I was about to take my
daughter on her first ride on the Sprint. Since I was
much more concerned with my daughter's safety, I just
put the bike back in the garage and called it a day.
In all the efforts to try to get and keep the engine
started, I never cycled power with the ignition key.
Afterward, I found the above references and tried to
see if my bike's ECM had suffered a brain fart. Sure
enough, Monday evening after work, resetting the ECM
did the trick. And the ride this morning was great!

A call to my dealer is the order of the morning to
see if they have any knowledge of the cause....

Kevin
Kevin Hoskins
Audio Applications, National Semiconductor Corp.
408-721-2594
"Just because you can does not mean you should."