FWIW

In a message dated 12/21/00 9:56:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well, for those that may recall that my wife, while riding another bike
(XV1100) of mine, brain faded and slammed into me while I was on my Sprint
ST.  We're both fine now.  But after 2 months of scrounging parts, it back up
and looking good.  I've never believed in comprehensive insurance as I don't
fall often and I normally can fix it cheaper.  Just thought you'd be sorta
interested in replacement costs.

                     Approx list                  My cost
Back wheel     $675                           $ 250
Rear Subframe 450                               250
Rt frnt plastic    350                              350 new
Rt side plastic  350                              350 new
Radiator           450                                45 fixed it
rear fender        250                              250
rear turn sig        80                               30
Rt mirror           180                                0 fixed it
wiring harness  450                                10 fixed it
fact race can    375                                 0 stock back on (may
change later)
headlite subframe  300                            0 fixed it
rear tire             185                             185 new
Rt. tail plastic  240                                150 used, like new

As you can see it was a substantial hit, but definitely fixable.  The bike
looks like new and runs just fine.  But for $4585 in parts not counting labor
costs the bike would probably been totalled by the ins. co. and would prolly
only given me low/mid retail.  And for $1875 and 3 days of careful slow
labor, I'm good to go and have my baby back, not to mention my rates don't go
up.  Now the Virago OTOH still needs fixing, hmmm.

Ken T. from Ca.
"tossed aside like cheap truck stop fare"

95' Trident, 96' Virago 11, 99' Triumph Sprint ST
COP#0018, AMA#414926
http://www.labiker.com/gallery/images/K_M/kent.html