Re: Newbies question.

At 08:02 AM 12/29/2000 +1100, Danny Mitchell wrote:
>I am new to the list and have a few questions. I bought a new ST (black)
>in September and am loving it, but as usual I am getting itchy fingers
>and am thinking of changing a few things,
>Firstly, has anyone fitted a 190 rear tire and if so what type and what
>was the result (handling, clearance ect:)?
>Secondly, what type of sports pipes are people using and was there much
>performance and sound difference?
>Thirdly, what is the common thought on suspension set up (I way about
>210 and use the bike daily for commuting and weekend runs)?
>Fourthly, what "go fast" engine mods would suit the ST?

First, I will preface this with the note that I am the most complete
wuss on the list when it comes to driving.  I did some autocross and
rally driving when I was younger, but  this was all cages, and on
motorcycles I am a total wuss.  A live wuss.

The 190 tire will, I think, slow the handling.  Someone else will
surely comment on this.

The engine power has been, shall we say, more than adequate for me.
What more do you want?

Performance pipes will give much more sound difference than
performance difference, I think, given past comments on the list.
Again others will surely comment.  Short of a three-across under-
seat exhaust, I have had no interest in any changes.  The quiet
stock pipe is deliciously unobtrusive to the local gendarmerie.

There have been posts about various suspension mods that others
speak highly of, and others will comment on this as well.

OK, so what can I contribute?  The two most important mods you
need to make are: 1) acquire and use a trickle charger; I have one
with a harness that bolts permanently to the battery terminals and
has a connector that hangs out from under the seat, and 2) add
some convex angled mirrors to the inside half of the mirrors;
you don't need to see your elbows that often anyway, and greater
vision to the sides -- ie each of the neighboring lanes just behind
you -- is great.  Visibility and battery failure are the stock
ST's two biggest gotchas, IMO.  YMMV.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Forensic Examiner|  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx