Re: New RS, old RS

Hi Roger

> I note you have the carbon can which from the write ups sounded a good
investment especially if you can get it packaged in the purchase price but I
see that don draper on the list thought it was of questionable value. What
do think? By the way did the dealer give you the stock exhaust if you needed
it for MOT purposes or was that extra? <

When I took my test ride it already had the carbon can on, and the new tune,
so I can't tell you what difference it makes to performance. Triumph claim a
few more horses up high AND a lot more torque down low. I had to have to
have it though - the price was right for one thing, the thought of even more
torque couldn't be ignored, it looks a lot smarter than the stock can, and
the SOUND is fabulous! Not that it's loud (I actually prefer a louder can),
but it's still a very addictive soulful spine-tingling wail. It came as part
of the deal, but whether I'd have paid the full whack (£400?!) is more
doubtful. OTOH if the engine blew up with a non-Triumph can on then I'd
worry about the warranty not being honoured. Yes I had the stock can
included, at least in theory. Actually I couldn't carry it home at the time
of purchase so it is I hope still tucked away somewhere safe at Carl's...

Hi Kathy

Sorry to hear you're not getting on with your RS. I also suffer a bit from
the long bike/short body problem, but the more miles I do the more comfy I
feel. Partly me getting used to it, partly my beergut moulding itself to the
shape of the tank! In fact I've decided the ST bars muck up the handling
subtly, so I'll be going back to the 'proper' RS bars in the spring.

The only thing I can think of for you that hasn't been mentioned already is
perhaps to try the ST shock, which is not just softer but also 1" shorter,
giving you a lower ride height as well as a more upright riding position.
You might even find someone on this list who wants to pep up their spongy ST
and would do a trial swap with you. Just a thought. The other thing to do is
to check your riding gear, which is a common cause of discomfort ... I found
the back-protector in my Triumph jacket was riding up and pushing into the
back of my neck at first, restricting head movement and giving me neckache,
but since I pulled it out and cut an inch off the top I've been fine.

Not so secretly I think you're probably right though, it sounds like the RS
may have to go. If you want something with a similar sporty feel but lower
seat and less arm/neckache then the SV650 already mentioned is a great
choice, or try to find a Honda Hawk/Bros (now pretty rare), or go for a
Fazer or similar. But personally I wouldn't touch the F650 with a bargepole

Barry