Re: P.S.

"Kathy Kost" <kathyk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Forgot that Erik mentioned the TT600 (and some other bikes too :-) ).

Kathy, yesterday I hung out at the dealer for a while.  Ostensibly it was to
order new tires (Pirellie Dragon GTS) but in reality it was to get out of
housework (just hope SWMBO doesn't read this).  While there I sat on just
about everything they had in the shop.  Someday I'll have to take one of
their Ural sidecar units out for a spin ... just to try something *REALLY*
different!

I can say that the TT600 has a shorter seat-to-bar reach than the RS.  I
found the RS had me stretched out along the tank almost like the Daytona
did.  As setup in the shop the TT600 about as tall as the RS, but the
preload was cranked to the wazoo.  For someone significantly ligher than my
210 (too many Christmas goodies), the dealer guessed that it could be safely
dropped by a good inch without risking the suspension bottoming out.
Without getting too personal, I think it is safe to guess that you are MUCH
lighter than I.

BTW, the TT600 I sat on was the new 2001 single-tone blue.  Nice!  The
shop's demo bike isn't in yet but when it is I'm going to give it a spin
just for giggles.  Anything more than a short ride on a bike like that and
my lower back (early degenerate disk) would be killing me!

> I'm definitely going to check that thing out.  I think it's rather
> cute, actually and I've never sat on one.  I typically have stayed
> away from CBR600's and the like because I've never liked the sound
> of the engine and pipes from in-line 4's.  Guess it's my Ducati and
> VFR heritage -- I like low, throaty, sounding machines.  Or at least
> different and not high pitched.

I understand.  I feel the same way.

> When I went to the Motorcycle Show recently in Seattle, I have to
> admit my head was spinning when I came out of there. :-)

:-)

There are few bikes that are well suited to the reach-challenged from any
manufacturer.  SWMBO herself is inseam-challenged.  She tried a Triumph
Legend and found it to be perfect.  Very gutsy engine too.  In the Triumph
line that is about as good a fit as you'll get.  No hard luggage though, and
it definately doesn't look like a sportbike -- more like a retro-standard.

Good luck on your search.
- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue Triumph Sprint ST "Jewel"