Re: Autocom

> Has anyone had much experience with autocom communication systems?

Lisa and I bought a set for each bike after returning from our trip to
Utah and experiencing unsatisfactory results from our 49 mhz chatter box
units.

> 1. Is the "Eurocom" system good enough or should I spend the money for the pro system?

We went with the Eurocom and have no regrets.  The only differences I
recall was a self adjusting volume adjustment to compensate for wind
noise.

> 2. Where do you mount the box when you hard wire the system on an ST?

We had the local Autocom rep install it and he chose to mount it on the
back vertical surface under the seat, i.e. the stuck to the back of the
plastic seat storage area.

> 3. I will initially use it for passenger-rider intercom and stereo. Then will buy FRS radio and hookups.  Has any one used the FRS system?

We bought Kenwood's high wattage FRS (requires a license - wink wink)
which is bigger and bulkier, but has a longer range.

> 4. Can you really use this system up to say 100 MPH?

YES!

> 5. The only place I have found to buy the autocom is mail order through Top Gear is there any others or better places?

See above.

> 6. Where do you mount the connections on the bike for the helmet wiring?

He ran the wires along the frame under the seat and they come out
between the seat and tank.  When riding alone, they can be stuffed back
under the seat.

We have been very pleased with the Autocom system, but it's price is a
little steep.  Other people have had luck with other units that cost
less.  I suggest a search on the archive as there have been a number of
discussions on this topic, a few started by me when I was researching
the purchase.

..Richard White