Gas mileage?

I've just filled the tank on the new RS for the second time (the
dealer filled it the first time), so I have data on the first two tanks.
On the first fill-up, I got 40.2 mpg and on the second I got 42.9.
This last one was after some fun in the twisties last Saturday, so I
was pushing it a little (pushing as much as was safe for the engine,
given that I could not go over 5000 rpm).  Does this progression in
fuel mileage seem about normal?  I'm just looking for a datapoint
that might indicate something about how the breakin is going.  The
engine feels strong and sounds fine.  The transmission is really
getting silky, too.

I crossed the 300 mile mark today, so I can now notch it up one
more step in the process.

This bike is such a blast to ride; I'm all smiles all the time. :-)

- -Keith
'00 Sprint RS (fast Eclipse Blue!)
'98 CB750 Nighthawk