Miserable news from Jack Lilley regarding flat batteries and new headlights ....

Seems like the news I just got from JL might be of interest and relevance to
a lot of people out there, especially those with newer STs and battery
problems.

As you may recall, my battery kept going flat - in fact it was discharging
from full to zero in about two days "flat".

It now seems that this is directly related to the fact that the headlights
were relayed back together (my model was post-EU regulations, therefore it
worked on the principle of one headlight at a time, either main beam or
dipped). Although this was done by the workshop, not me (!), they were
unaware that this could cause the battery problem concerned. They have
spoken to Triumph in Hinckley, who say that they are very aware of this
problem now. It seems that many flat batteries have been reported in the
past few months, and all have been traced back to the wiring, which was also
changed with the new headlight system and therefore can NOT be relayed
without leaving a live wire in place that means, in effect, that the
ignition circuitry is on all the time.
For the time being, then, it seems that the only solution is to rewire the
headlights so that they come on individually, not in tandem.

If anyone has any other (home-made) solutions to this problem, I'd be more
than happy to hear them and even put them to JL, as I for one am NOT happy
about driving my bike in London half-naked, i.e. on one headlight - let
alone outside of the city where lighting conditions are often much worse.

Tim

End of st-digest V2000 #39