Re: Miserable news from Jack Lilley regarding flat batteries and new headlights ....

Rick
I think you've missed the point, which is this:
there is a cut-off point, somewhere in the autumn of 1999, when Triumph
started producing bikes on which the headlights worked not in tandem, but
individually. Prior to that, as far as I know from my former Sprint, all STs
were produced with the lights wired together, so if your machine predates
that dividing line, they will have been designed to work together without
placing any extra drain on the electric circuitry.
Have just fetched my bike from JL's, and the problem is that the relays
supplied by the factory were at best inexpedient, at worst defective, so
that they caused a live connection to the ignition which drained the
battery, as would anything that was left on all the time. So Triumph have
found out that there is a relay that was used on the older version of the
Daytona which fits the ST perfectly and causes no such problems.
This is what the guy at the workshop told me.
I'll take my bike in and have one fitted when they get a new supply some
time next week.
Hope that clears it up !!
Maybe the difference is that bikes supplied to the US (export market) are
rigged up to different spex, because I don't know the legislation over
there.
This was the case with Triumphs suppied to Sweden at one point, where there
was a widget on the engine that stopped it getting up above a certain speed,
since bikes with greater performance capacity than that were not allowed.
Every country and every market has its own idiosyncracies, I reckon.

Tim

End of st-digest V2000 #40