CO adjustment

Hi all.

Can some kind soul give me the run-down on what the CO settings are all
about.  I'm working on the assumption that it's Carbon Monoxyde related
(my high school chemistry teaching girl friend would be proud of me ;-).

. If that's the case, how does the EMS come into play with relation to
  generation of CO?

. Is this an unused fuel issue related to emission
  control requirements or is it engine performance / efficiency related?

. Why do the settings need to be tweaked based on your exhaust setup
  (better flowing exhaust pulls more fuel straight through the head
  maybe)?

. What's the price of a pound of salmon in Stokholm these days (whoops,
  that questions was for another list ;-)

Anyway, seeing as my ride's going into the shop for a new pipe and engine
tune this week I thought it'd be good to know this stuff.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bambi