Re: CO adjustment

At 08:06 PM 02/14/2000 +1000, David J. Hughes wrote:
 >Can some kind soul give me the run-down on what the CO settings are all
 >about.  I'm working on the assumption that it's Carbon Monoxyde related
 >(my high school chemistry teaching girl friend would be proud of me ;-).
 >. If that's the case, how does the EMS come into play with relation to
 >  generation of CO?

Controlled via the "idle fuel adjustment" setting.

 >. Is this an unused fuel issue related to emission
 >  control requirements or is it engine performance / efficiency related?

performance

 >. Why do the settings need to be tweaked based on your exhaust setup
 >  (better flowing exhaust pulls more fuel straight through the head
 >  maybe)?

Guessing here, but I would say yes.

 >. What's the price of a pound of salmon in Stokholm these days (whoops,
 >  that questions was for another list ;-)

$7.99 for imported.

 >Anyway, seeing as my ride's going into the shop for a new pipe and engine
 >tune this week I thought it'd be good to know this stuff.

Recommended level for standard pipes is 1.5% CO - performance exhausts at 2% CO

The adjustment must be made at normal operating temps - the programming
tool monitors the temp and only will allow the change once the engine has
come up to temp. There will be numbers displayed on the programmer screen,
but these are for reference only. A gas analyzer must be used for
measurement. For example my 509 showed a reading of +30 to obtain a 1.5%CO
level.

- - Eric