Oil: SJ or not to SJ

Greg,

There are 2 "flavors" of API SJ rated oil. A straight SJ and the "energy
conserving" SJ. Most of the automotive oils you will find are API SJ Energy
Conserving. The energy conserving additive package includes some ingredients
that can be problematic for a motorcycle. A "straight" SJ should be ok, but
here you may want to stick to motorcyclr specific of SG/SH if you are
concerned.

I would be comfortable when the manufacturer states that the oil is
applicable for all motorcycles, "including wet clutches". AMSOIL is a
reputable brand of high performance oils.

Larry

> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:17:24 -0800
> From: Greg Gagliano <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Baby oh baby!
>

> I was under the impression that you _don't_ want to use an SJ rated oil in
> motorcycle with a wet clutch (engine and tranny share the same lubricant)
since