Thank you for the warm welcome

Hi All,

I really would like to thank you for the warm welcome to this list! I really
enjoy to be a member of this team!

> Thomas,
>
> Where do you live?  My family came from Pfoerring.
>
> I can't imagine having a Sprint on the Autobahn!
>

> Rich Weyand

Well Rich, I live in Landshut. But I know Pfoerring, it´s not far away from
Ingolstadt (that´s where I was born)! Some guys from Pfoerring went to
school with me - what a small planet! Do you sometimes come to Germany? I
also look forward to ride my Sprint RS on the Autobahn - most of you
probably know that we have no speed limit on the Autobahn!!! That´s good fun
from time to time, but nevertheless I prefer to ride in the Alps.

>  >March - just in time for the new season over here in Germany. But that
means
>  >another six weeks to wait...  :-(
> I see plenty of sleepless nights in your future ;-)

You bet

>  >I´m thinking about the following stuff:
>  >- Tank Pad (Carbon)
>
> I like the clear 3M film instead - I've had a few people ask, so it may be
> time to offer another order.

Eric, do you know if this 3M film is also available over here (in Europe)?
Or do you see a possibility to have it sent over here? I´m very interested!

>  >- Rear Hugger
>
> I just added the Lilley CF hugger to mine - I uploaded a couple of pics -
> did you see them ?

What´s the difference between this Lilley CF hugger and the rear hugger
which is offered by Triumph?

>  >- Rear Mudguard Extension
>  >- Front Mudguard Extension
>
> I've been thinking of adding the front, just to knock down the stuff that
> hits the front end of the bike, but in my opinion, the rear extension is
> way too long.

Does anyone know how this front mudguard extension will be fitted to the
standard mudguard? Is it necessary to drill holes or not? Any ideas?

>  >- Triumph Sports Throw-over Panniers with Panel Protectors
>
> Like you mentioned in your previous email, you pay a premium for these.
> They look nice in the pics, but I have not had a chance to see a set up
> close. I think Lance is using some Chase Harper soft luggage on the ST and
> has been happy with it.
>
>  >- Triumph Tank bag
>
> I love mine. Its designed for the shape of the tank, has plenty of storage
> (and is expandable), removable map pocket, rain cover and the pad can be
> easily modified to make it easy on / off.

Anyone on the list who has experience with the Bagster Tank Bag System
(http://www.Bagster.com)? It´s a French system with a tank cover which is
individually tailored to the respective tank (even same color!). It can stay
on the tank forever, no need for a tank pad or film. There are a lot of
different tank bags (different styles and sizes) which can all be connected
to this tank cover in about 10 seconds with a fast connecting system. I like
the idea behind this system, but I´ve never seen one in real life. Any
thoughts?

>  >Sorry for this long letter, but I´ve just too many questions!
>
> No problem - keep asking them - maybe it will make your wait a little more
> bearable.....

Yes, it does!

> - - Eric

Thank you, Eric!

> Thomas,
> I have the Triumph CF tank pad. It's large, stops scrathes and looks good
> boot.
>
> Also the rear hugger, recently installed using the tips from the website
> (thanks!). Should have got it when I bought the bike.

Which one did you install - the Lilley CF or the Triumph hugger?

> No front or read mudguard - I'd get the front to reduce stone-chip damage
> but not the rear for the same reason as Eric mentioned "way too long". I'd
> rather go the other way and chop the rear fender off.

Ok, I´ll definitely skip the rear extension!

> There are several other brands of throw over/soft luggage available. If
they
> don't come with panel protectors, apply clear film to each side of your
> bike. I'm currently investigating other brands...
>
> Triumph Tank bag - is on my shopping list already!
>
> Bryce

Thanks Bryce!

> Hallo Thomas,
>
> Welcome to the list, and congratulations for choosing the RS.

Mille grazie, Andrea!

> Thomas Maxhofer wrote:
> >As a total newcomer to Triumph motorcycles (had KTM GS400, Honda CB750K6,
> >Yamaha XS650, Yamaha XJ900, BMW R100R before) I certainly have a lot of
> >questions for you Triumph experienced guys, for example (sorry Eric and
> >Jonathan - I know, I`ve asked you the same questions already):
>
> Well, I'm not a Triumph experienced guy since I own one only from the
> beginning of January... but I own the right one of the right color! :)

Anch´io o comprato la moto in fulmine giallo - che bell colore! :-)

> >My Triumph dealer has offered me a lot of accessories for the Sprint RS.
Now
> >I´m not sure what to choose and what to skip.
> >
> >I will definitely go for:
> >- Heated Grips
> >- Master Cylinder Cover (Carbon) for Rear Brake Master Cylinder
>
> I didn't order that, but I know the same accessory is available for the ST
> too, so maybe someone else can enlighten me on the usefulness of the
> cylinder cover.

I don´t think it´s useful at all - it just looks great :-)

> >- Centre Stand
>
> I had it mounted last week, but I still have to test it on the twists. I
> was surprised when I saw that it came with new, longer, back angle
> indicator pegs mounted on the footrests (to prevent grounding the stand).
> I'll let you know how it goes.
> I must say it fits perfectly the bike, plus it's very easy to use.
> I'll make some photos of it to show you how it looks.

I never had a motorbike without a centre stand before - so I think I have to
have one again. By the way -  how do you lubricate the chain without a
centre stand?

> >I´m thinking about the following stuff:
> >- Tank Pad (Carbon)
>
> I already ordered that from JL. My Dainese jacket has a button that
> sometimes hits the tank leaving its sign :-(

So many different options meanwhile - tankpad, 3Mfilm, bagster tank cover
... hmpf

> >- Rear Hugger
>
> I ordered that too from JL, but my order was put on hold since the factory
> hasn't started to produce them yet. I hope they'll begin soon because my
> rear monoshock is getting too dirty for my taste, and it's not very easy
> clean.

Which one did you order - the Triumph or the Lilley CF?

> >- Triumph Sports Throw-over Panniers with Panel Protectors
>
> I preferred the topbox, which is invaluable for commuting, and I can leave
> it on the bike with no worries.
>
> >- Triumph Tank bag
>
> Ordered that too. But I think I'll use it only on long trips.
> Before ordering I had a look at some other brands, but didn't find
anything
> that I'd like to see on my beloved bike.
>
> - -andre
> __________________________________
>          Andrea@xxxxxxxxx
> Triumph Sprint RS "fulmine giallo"
>          Sardinia - Italy

Andrea, where do you live exactly? I had a beautiful holiday in Sardinia -
but that was about 20 years ago. I spent three weeks in a small little
village called Stintino (close to Porto Torres), thats in the northwest.

> From: greg & y2k blue <boris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: welcome Thomas
>
> Great choice of bike Thomas, I'm no Triumph expert but I know when I'm
> on a good thing. Rear hugger, definately, I put one on my blue ST, it
> looks great and keeps the crap off the rear suspension. The carbon fibre
> tank pad also a must if you dont want to spoil that beautiful paint and
> it also looks great. A mate of mine took some photos with his new D.V.
> camera to see how it goes, if they turn out ok I'll give you a look. Six
> weeks will scoot by pretty quickly, if it does'nt prey for rain.

Thanks Boris, I´d appreciate that!

> Thomas,
>
> All accessories have their purpose, otherwise Triumph would not produce
> them.
> I find the rear hugger good because it protects the rear suspension
against
> rain, mud and other things thrown around by the rear wheel.
> The tank pad is also very usefull because it protects the tank against
> scratches procuced by the zipper of your coat and/or fly :)
> A tank bag and/or panniers are usefull if you often want to take things
with
> you, if you use your bike for commuting, trips, ..
> I did not mount the rear nor the front mudguard extension and do not miss
> them but others list member who have them will tell you they can't miss
> them.
> If I were you I would add the tank pad and the hugger to my 'definitely go
> for' list.
>
> Cheers,
> Ludo, Belgium
> Red 99 'Bird of Prey' ST

Thank you Ludo, the hugger is on my list meanwhile. The tank pad / 3M Film /
... question is still open!

> From: "Hammond, Mark" <Mark.Hammond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Sprints on the Autobahn
>
> The only Sprint I've seen on the Bavarian Autobahn so far is my own... but
> now it's asleep in a dark garage in Munich :-((
>
> Mark
> mh@xxxxxx

Hi Mark, don´t worry, spring will (hopefully!) come in a few weeks! You´re
in Munich - if you like we could meet for a ride!

Sorry that this mail became so long - again! I promise to write a shorter
one next time.

Ride Safe

Thomas
Sprint RS in fulmine giallo (soon!) :-)