Re: Size of Torx socket for oil drain plug

Thomas Emberson wrote:

> One of the things that I was warned about is changing the oil when the
> engine is very hot. The theory went that with th cold air flow and fresh
> cool oil you can do damage to the warm/hot alumimun parts.

IMHO, I think that if folks are seriously worrying about this, they have
waaay too much time on their hands and they aren't riding enough. :-)
You don't want to change the oil when it's scalding hot anyways, for
obvious reasons. Here's what I'd do:

	1) Ride the bike for a bit;
	2) Park it (the bike, not yourself);
	3) Get out of your riding gear and into some grungy clothes;
	4) Grab your tools and your fresh oil, filter;
	5) Twist the top off a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale;
	6) Get to work chaning the oil;
	7) Repeat step #5 until finished with #6

By the time you're at step #6 the oil's not going to burn the heck out
of ya'. Similarly, the temperature differential between the engine and
the new oil will be pretty minimal.

- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting