Re: for Gregory - RS reliability

>> GG: Understanding the RS is new on the street, my
>> inquiry was directed to the ST rather than the RS;
>> the results for the ST should be very applicable
>> to the RS with respect to brakes/drivetrain/electrices, etc.
>
>Ah - common wear items. My chain lasted 19,000 miles, and my stock
>front pads lasted about 11,000 miles. The replacements I selected
>work well enough, but seem a bit abrasive - my disks have
>noticeable wear on them and may require replacement soon because
>of it. I'll check at the next pad change.

That sounds like good life for a chain. Riding in Western US (Colorado,
Utah) one can go through a chain in 12K from conditions such as riding miles
and miles down steep, prolonged, ultra-curvy inclines that descend as much
as 8,000 vertical feet in a fairly short distance. These conditions require
a lot of engine braking to take at speed and the chain is wrenched back and
forth. I'm glad to hear of 19K from a chain. You might try stock brake pads
since they may have a compound tuned to the rotor. For whatever concerns
about the ST4 that would lead to a Triumph instead, our ST4 at almost 18K
has "no signs of appreciable brake pad wear" on the same bike that ate a
chain in 12K from mountain/canyon thrashing, so Ducati did something right
here. Surely the right compound could give you less rotor wear and longer
pad life. Of course, who cares about pad life since they cost little and
take 15 minutes to replace.

Greg Girard