RE: Triumph alarm

For John Daker:

The Triumph OEM alarm has a motion detector and immobiliser.  It has a siren
built in, so it doesn't sound the bike horn, but it flashes all four
indicator lights on the bike twice when it arms.

The LED is in the bottom of the side light - the "third eye" on the front of
the bike.  It's factory-wired into the wiring harness, but I found on mine
that it was wired the wrong way round - I took the cockpit apart, swapped
the terminals on the LED connector and it then worked.  The Triumph alarm
flashes it slowly when it's armed, or quickly to indicate that the alarm has
sounded (e.g. if someone fiddled with the bike while you were away from it).

Dealers are supposed to glue the alarm plug into the main wiring harness to
stop the alarm being disconnected by thieves, but I'm not sure that they do.
a couple of us have had problems where the Triumph alarm could not be
disarmed because local radio transmitters were blocking the signal from the
key fob - moving the bike a few metres normally solves the problem (at the
expense of your ears while the alarm sounds).  This could be a problem with
any alarm, I suppose, especially if the alarm is not screened properly.

Neil