Re: More Info

Burt,
  I have the exact same set up as you with the red bike, Monza Red RF-800 and the
chatterbox FRS radios.  Amazing how the helmet matches the color of the bike,
isn't it?  Well, as far as the radios go I can help answer your questions.  My
Sprint and my wife's ZX-6 both have stock exhaust systems so they do not
contribute much to noise.  What I have found with these radios is that it becomes
very hard to hear the other rider at speeds over 55mph.  The wind noise drowns out
your voice.  The range really is 2 miles as I have become separated form her in
heavy traffic to the point of not having any visual contact and they worked just
fine.  Another point is that you learn to repeat the first word of your sentences
as the VOX system is not very quick to respond and loses the first word.  I
usually just clear my throat to activate my set.  Another problem is interference
on the FRS wavelength causing static that can't be controlled by the squelch.
Sometimes it is so bad you can't carry on a conversation.  Switching to the 2nd
band sometimes helps.  Installation of the head sets is not too bad with the
RF-800.  I pulled out my liner and inserted the ear piece in the depression in the
styrofoam by the hole for the chin strap.  The ear piece is between the cloth
liner and the foam.  The liner is held to the helmet with double sided sticky
tape.  Just carefully pull it away from the helmet shell.  I just velcroed the
microphone directly to the cloth liner by the smooth chin area so it couldn't
touch my face.  My wife and I enjoy the radios very much and I think they are a
good deal for the money.  We usually only need to use them for relaying directions
or asking questions which usually is at a slow speed anyway and we don't carry on
long conversations.  We prefer listening to our bikes and the countryside going
by.

Hope this helps,
Dan

> buying one if it works, and looks pretty good.  Also, I have just purchased
> Chatterbox radios, and Shoei RF800 helmets-yeah the Monza red matches Big
> Red's color perfectly.  Ive checked it in bright sunlight, and shadow-looks
> like it was painted the same time-perfect match. Has anyone else used the
> Chatterbox setup?  How do you like it?  This is my first encounter with
> motorcycle radios.  Looks like fun-these were $200 retail.  Cheap compared
> to J&M, at over $800.  Anyone else who uses these-do you like them?  How is
> the range?  REALLY 2 miles? Does it work good in canyons? Also, do you
> install the speakers under the lining? or stick the velcro to the lining?
> The directions wernt clear.

End of st-digest V2000 #70