Re: Sporty side of ST

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, The Flowers wrote:

> Rennay Reeves <rennayr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> >How sporty is the ST? I was thinking of buying one if it handles curves
> >pretty good.
> >Will it do wheelies without slipping the clutch?
>
> It doesn't sound like you want an ST.  Maybe an RS.  Or keeping in the
> Triumph line a Speed Triple.  Outside the Triumph line perhaps a Suzuki
> Bandit 1200 with a freer breathing exhaust, the airbox opened up and a jet
> kit.
>
> When Thomas is back from vacation and on-line again he'd probably suggest a
> Ninja 9r.  That thing will wheelie if you look at it cross-eyed and 2-finger
> stoppies are no problem either.

Actually on the same line as the Bandit 1200, I would suggest a
Kawi ZXR1100 or a ZX11. Although you still will have to at least
pull up on the handle bars.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of a bike, the ultimate
wheelie bike is the R1, but if you plan on any extended rides (say
greater than 2 hours) better have a chiropractor on retainer.

Although if you really like the ST, I believe there is a kind
gentleman that will send you a turbo kit for about 5k, and I am
pretty sure that will achieve the desired effects.

On a serious note I would check out the Suzuki GSX1300r (Hyabusa)
or the new Kawi ZX12r, they each will have all the front air off
the ground action you will want and probably be both capable of
all day touring. Just do not go looking for any factory hard luggage,
and as far as handling I would suggest that 99% of the people on
this list would get no benefit from the additional handling
capabilities of either bike.

Thomas

'98 ZX6e
'99 ZX9r (in the faster Candy Lightning blue)
'00 Sprint ST (in the faster Sapphire blue, to arrive this summer, hopefully)

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5025 Arapaho Road, Suite 406, Dallas, 75248
(972) 851-6945 (voice)  (972) 851-6944 (fax)