Re: Triumph Heated Grips - Installation Advice

Rig,

You're question is based on your level of comfort working on the bike.  This
job, IMHO is actually quite easy, its just somewhat time consuming, because
you've got to take off the front fairing  (as well as other body panels) to
address tieing into the wiring harness.  I did the job myself, and basically
found that it was just a lot of taking bar weights off, stripping original
grips off, taking off body panels, connecting the wire harnesses and
reassembling.  Seems like a lot of people have been anxious about placing
the rocker switch on the left side upper fairing piece (i.e., ruining the
paint job, cracking the body panel), but I actually found it quite easy; I
just stuck on the template supplied with the heated grip kit, drilled a hole
in each of the four cornes and then used a coping saw to finish cutting out
the rectangle.  The template and its adhesive backing pulls off and the
rocker switch snaps right in, looking like a professional installation.  I
found the supplied instructions to be very straight forward.  The only thing
to be careful about, is to make sure that the wiring (especially on the
throttle side) on the grips is placed inside the channel already machine
into the clip-ons.  This avoids kinking when twisting the throttle.

Of course you can have your dealer do it, but I got a lot of satisfaction
out of doing it myself, and it wasn't anything like tearing the top of the
engine off and replacing a cam/ cam chain/adjusting valves etc.

Hope that helps,   Lance