Re: Petrol types

Bryce von Bonin wrote:

> I'm curious to know the types of petrol that is available in other parts of
> the globe. Here is Oz we have the choice of 3:
>
> - leaded @ 96 RON (environmentally unfriendly and costs slightly more
> expensive than ULP),

	Ooh, "environmentally unfriendly" eh?  That's rather a can of worms!
In brief, there is some highly suspect evidence that the lead from
petrol has an adverse effect on humans; on the other hand there is
pretty damning evidence that unleaded petrol produces more carbon
dioxide (which is not ameliorated by a catalytic converter), and it is
dead certain that the benzene used as a lead substitute is highly
carcinogenic.

	Leatherbiker said that leaded petrol is "banned" here in the UK - not
strictly true, although sales are to be restricted to no more than 0.5%
of total petrol sales.  There is an interesting article in the current
Motoring section of the Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk,
free registration required) which says that the government is finally
getting around to providing some structure to make the sale of leaded
petrol feasible - the current situation is a mess and I certainly
haven't seen it on sale since late last year.

	Also, apparently the sale of tetraethyl lead itself is not banned, and
one entrepeneur is setting up to import the stuff!

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_                There is nothing you can do with a
  ixion.org.uk    / -.--.    ___      router that the skilled and brave
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'     can't achieve with a chainsaw
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Andy the Pugh