Re: First service

>Finally got my bike in for its initial service after Xmas, NY,
>bout of flu and 1150 miles (slapped wrists for me).
>Just wanted to pass on a few items of anecdotal information
>picked up from the mechanic and workshop manager at Jack
>Lilleys.

>2) Mentioned the suspension to them and asked them to firm it up
>a bit, as I'm 200 lbs, nearly always have the panniers and/or
>some dead weight on and felt the front was a bit squidgy, but
>they said it was optimally set already and any more would have
>me flying off if I drove over speed ramps too fast.
>
>Captain's Yule Log,
>stardate 2000
>Planet Teddington

What exactly is this optimal setup ?? The manual calls the standard
setup as front 10mm showing above the top fork nut. Rear as 12 turns
out and 1.5 turns out for rebound. Maybe Steve as a dealer with much
experience would comment on the ST's only really flaw. It seems that
damn near everyone , magazines included have ragged on the ST's soft
suspension. Is there an optimal setting or as others are starting to
do is the only really cure a better rear shock ( suggestions Steve
:-)  and stiffer front springs.