Re: st-digest V2000 #19

Ian Pollen wrote:

> >> Dare I ask whether it's reasonable to have to have the brakes
> > >cleaned after 1200 miles?
>
> >No, I don't think it is.  Unfortunately some bikes seem more prone than
> >others to seized brakes, and the Sprint ST appears to fall into this
> >category :-(
>
> I disagree, I have clocked up 9000 miles since September 99, this includes
> the last 2 months worth of salty British roads. I have never had a problem
> with seized brakes. They get a slap of copper grease when pads are changed
> and thats it.
>
> I have found that a bi-monthly clean and regular use of a bike even through
> the depths of winter tends to keep things turning nicely. It's when you
> leaving it standing, even in a garage that you start get problems.

	Well, I have to admit that I have left the bike standing for two, even
three days at a time.  And cleaning isn't too regular.  In fact, exactly
the same treatment as my last four bikes, none of which suffered from
seized brakes.

	Ian, was your bike new in September?  There were several reports of
seized brakes on earlier bikes (mine was built in November 1998); maybe
there have been improvements?

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_              ZXRs and ZX7Rs are definite hooligan
  ixion.org.uk    / -.--.    ___    tackle. You can tell by the exhaust
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'   note, intake rasp, and number of
                / /\\    \--'_ \\   them in breakers yards
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Neil Ronketti