Ouch troubles II

Found my battery was dead as a dodo again this morning, 2-3 days after fully
recharging it. Decided to follow the advice of the list and acquire a
portable voltmeter (more memories of Star Trek - I think it's vegetable,
Captain, probably megazoid).
What worries me now is that, although I have only just started recharging
the battery again, the voltmeter reads 11.6 + V, so what can be the
explanation for the bike not starting? Bad relay? Is there a rectifier
problem somewhere? Is there a rectifier, full stop?

Electronically challenged of Teddington