more bloody batteries ...

Yes, I was talking about a battery tender. The good thing is that at least
it tells you what's happening, i.e. that the battery is beyond charging, is
low on juice but chargeable, or fully charged etc. Which I find comforting.

Maybe the guy was trying to hoodwink me or get me to buy something that is
unduly expensive - I may never know. He quoted the actual name of a guy
(Cooper?) who left his sealed battery connected up to a normal charger, only
to wake up to the garage exploding, as well as half his bedroom, presumably
while he was asleep, as the shop assistant said it removed half his hair and
eyebrows. Anecdotal horror stories or true-life drama? Can anyone verify
this from watching such crud as "999"? Or is it simply perhaps that Mr
Cooper left some battery, of whatever kind, to charge too long (overnight),
as a result of which it exploded?
I can't see any outlets on my battery, so where does the gas go?

Jim, I did read that one sentence, but frankly, I wouldn't know the
difference between an amp and a volt if I saw them naked in the park. I hate
the way car and bike manuals assume you have O-level physics. I do, but I
scraped through on a wing and a prayer, as it was the first year they
introduced multiple choice questions - phew!
Doubt I'll be there before 10, as I have to put the battery in and ring them
first.

Larry, I think you're probably right, and I'll pass this sad news onto the
dealer, so that he can give Hinckly a rollocking. Shame to tar the fine
image of a good bike by using shoddy batteries.

Tim