Re: new guy, looking for a sport-tourer (longish... )

I'm also in the Bay Area, so my answers should help you. By the way, this
last week has not been a good time to test tires for traction. While some
have complained about the stock tires, they are easily replaced, and on
either bike it is something you will be doing soon whether you want to or
not.

>questions:
>
>- how do the taller folk on this list like the st? can you compare it to the
>vfr or other bikes that you've had? i'm interested in comfort (both long
>distance and commuting), wind protection, leg room, carrying capacity, etc.

Like you, I test rode both the same day. I found the ST much more to my
liking because it felt pretty similar to the Katana 750 that I was riding
at the time. I'm 6'-0" and my knees do hit the fairing lowers, but I've
gotten used to it and I don't even notice it now. I have the 3 bag set up
and while I don't commute (working at home in the Bay Area is the only way
to save your sanity!) they do allow you to lane split when needed. I carry
my laptop all the time in the top bag, and the saddlebags can carry quite a
bit of camera equipment. Wind protection is what I would expect from a
sport touring bike. It's not a Gold Wing, but it's not an F650 either. (by
the way, if you live close to California BMW-Triumph, you get to us an F650
as a loaner bike when you drop your ST off for service.)

>- how about reliability? i hear there havent been any major problems,
>anything that annoys you ...

I had the fuel gauge problem, others have spoke of battery problems. The
price of the service manual annoys me. The price of an oil change annoys me.

>- the sport rider (?) test said they had problems with the motor bogging and
>almost dying in hot weather. any of you from warmer climes experience this?
>why would it happen? problems with the efi ?

I've had it over the backside of Mt. Hamilton on days when it was over 100.
No problem with the motor at all.

>- the bike i rode was hard to get into neutral. does this improve or do you
>just get used to it and call it character ;-) ?

I usually snick it into neutral before I come to a stop, which is a good
practice to get into on any bike. The ST tranny isn't as smooth as some
other bikes I've owned, but then it's not the worst either. I think every
bike is unique in that regard, and it takes getting used to the new feel.
Just like every clutch in a car reacts a little bit differently. Many on
the list say theirs got smoother as they broke in. I'm nearing 6K on mine
and I haven't notice much difference. I think over that time I've learned
that I have to be more deliberate with my shifting than what I was used to
on the Katana.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com