Should I? I did.

January 29,2000 at approximately 1:30 PM had me taking delivery of my
1999 Tornado Red Triumph Sprint ST.

The last T's dotted and the final I's crossed had me on my way home. I
decided to get acquainted with the new bike, so I ventured off the slab
and took Soquel Road part of the way home.  Essentially the first ride
I'd had on an ST and I was very impressed.  Quiet, stable, responsive.
Actually, I was very impressed.

I got home very pleased and got a friend to go for a short ride with
me.  Up into the hills (Hwy 9) we went.  The further I went, the more
impressed I became.  Going down the backside of the hill I came across
a group of bikes and as one of them squirted away.  I chose to follow.
He was on a TL1000S and moving along pretty well.  Until he noticed the
big red blob in his mirrors.  He picked up the pace, but got to the
point where he was a little bit over his head.  I backed off but stayed
within sight.  When he pulled over a little later, his double take
leads me to believe that he wasn't expecting to see a touring bike with
hard bags.  I was very, very impressed.

Overall, it's the biggest bike I've owned, although not the heaviest
(the GS is STEEL!) but handles very well.  The engine is very
tractable, not quite as strong as my Duc through the mid-range, but
then again the bike weighs over a hundred pounds more.   I'm going to
need to spend some time with the bike and tear it apart just to see
where everything goes.  Later though.  The race bike needs attention
first.  The ST is for riding.  :-)

Thanks for the input,  I served to push me in a direction I was already
going.  I was sure that I was going to get one 5 minutes into my test
ride.  My previous K1200RS test ride found me incredulous that the bike
was worth half of the $18k asking price, my R1100S test ride found me
wondering why BMW decided to limit their owners pool to people with
size 5 feet.  And those trun signals... Anyway.  In 5 minutes on the ST
I was ready to write a check (of course, it would have bounced, but I
was ready).

John

PS Lest anybody think that riding quickly and racing are one in the
same, I DO NOT race on the street.  That's what Sears Point is for.

=====
John R. Daker                         Mountain View, CA
AFM #811        '96 TZ125 '92 900SS '92 SVX '82 GS1100G

End of st-digest V2000 #30