Re: new guy, looking for a sport-tourer (longish... )

Misha Monder wrote:

> - how about reliability? i hear there havent been any major problems,
> anything that annoys you ...

	The biggest problem I've had was the radiator springing a leak due to
stress from the mounting points - hopefully this has been fixed on later
bikes.

> - the sport rider (?) test said they had problems with the motor bogging and
> almost dying in hot weather. any of you from warmer climes experience this?
> why would it happen? problems with the efi ?

	No problems with heat up to 38C anyway.  Power was down a bit going
through alpine passes over, er, ?8,000? feet but the bike ran better
than my friend's carburated one :-)

> - the bike i rode was hard to get into neutral. does this improve or do you
> just get used to it and call it character ;-) ?

	It gets better.

> - has anybody taken cross-courty (or timezone) trips on the sprint? can you
> point me to some write-ups on the web?

	I rode 4,000 miles around Europe last summer with no problems except
the radiator (!)

	Why is it that on any long bike trip at least one person has mechanical
trouble?  On that trip we had ten bikes and:

	1 set of wheelbearings replaced
	1 air filter cleaned and then replaced
	1 mirror broken (bike dropped)
	1 fairing and headlight lens broken (bike crashed)
	1 bike totalled (but that's another story)
	1 radiator replaced (mine)
	1 luggage rack disintegrating

And, most memorably:

	1 bird in air intake :-)

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_            never inherit an email address from an
  ixion.org.uk    / -.--.    ___  Ixie .. almost never a good plan...
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                        -- Robin Szemeti