RE: Broken ST - update

> From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
> jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>     The job went fairly smoothly, but there may be slight
> seepage from the new gasket :-(  Is this to be expected
> with a new gasket?

No. Especially a gasket that has no pressure behind it.

> I thought I'd removed all of the old gasket from the metal.
> I nicked the paint on the cover in a couple of places; how
> big does a nick have to be before it's a worry?

Not large at all - especially if it's on the bottom of the cover. A
word of advice for next time: If you can't get all of the gasket
completly off, get as much off as you can, make the remainder smooth,
and use an extra thick coat of RTV to back up the gasket.

> When I put it back together I put a smear of
> Hylomar Blue gasket goo on both metal faces, did the bolts
> up finger tight and then progressively tightened them all
> to 9Nm.

How heavy is a smear of gasket goo? Was there enough for some to ooze
out when you tightened the bolts?