Pirelli Dragons and Suspension Update.

Just thought I'd like you all know that if you are trying to decide
on new sneakers the Pirelli Dragon GTS is an awesome choice. I've put
about 2000 miles on them (500 at sustained speeds of no less than
80mph and a lot of the time at 100 or so) as for wear the front when
measured new had 4.9mm of tread depth it now has 4.7mm  :-)))
the rear when new had 6.9mm it now has 6.mm . They stick great rain
or shine and are VERY confidence inspiring. Pressures are 36 front 42
rear. I've had various tires on various bikes... D205's,  Me-Z4's of
course the BT-57 among others, and I've got to say these may be the
best overall tires I've used!

As for the suspension I did the Racetech springs 9.5kg and gold
valves. After some fiddling I ended up with 5wt oil in one leg and
10wt in the other. The Gold valves have 2.25 turns of compression
damping. The preload was the hardest to get right but I've settled on
3.5 turns in from all the way out or measured as 12mm of the adjuster
showing above the nut. This gives a sag of about 38mm. Remember that
with springs that are appx. 20% stiffer than stock ones, one does not
need (or want) too much preload if you crank it up too much (for the
street) it wants to hop around over small bumps. It now is SMOOTH
just sucks up bumps, much less dive and no harshness, a huge
difference from the stock so-so setup.

The rear was replaced with an Ohlins shock. Spring is a 15kg unit.
Preload is measured with rider dressed and with bags as 38mm of sag.
( rider weighs 200lbs plus or minus a pizza and six pack :-) )
Rebound is at 8 clicks out and compression at 12 clicks out.
The Ohlins feels much softer than stock at first and it's easy to
over compensate with too much compression damping or rebound thinking
that there is a lack of control, but then it doesn't track right.
When it's dialed in the Ohlins makes the bumps disappear it just
soaks everything with out upsetting the bike.  In fact on Saturday I
test rode a BMW R1100S BMW's sport bike and the ST was light years
better in the suspension and handling dept. As well as power and
smoothness! Still wouldn't mind ABS brakes though :-)

Erik

Hot Dawg

End of st-digest V2000 #327