RE: Shifter Lever

Steven Kohlscheen <steven.kohlscheen@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> The secondary benifit I saw was that [the one piece shifter] is a bit
> more robust, and less vuenerable to damage in case your pride decides
> to flop over on it's left side.

    And more likely to transmit the shock to the gearbox internals ... ?

                Jim

Yes there is that chance.  The Z shape of the new/T5 shifter may give more
than the original arm of the linkage it replaces on the shaft.  On impact
the old shifter lever bends, presses on the shifter rod, then snaps the rod
before breaking the lever.  The new one piece lever would have to bend
toward the motor/frame and may transmit more shock to the internals via the
shaft.  It is dimpled on the back side in the middle of the lever to allow
for such bending.  In my opinion the new/T5 shifter is not as veunrable to
impact as the original/Sprint lever because it is closer to the foot peg,
and closer to the frame.

Steven "Dirty Dawg"