OH NO! ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST?

After a slow and hot trip into London this evening to visit friends, my ST
suddenly conked out in mid flow, which has never happened before. I rolled
into the side and tried restarting it. After a good many attempts, shifting
between in and out of gear, clutch lever in and out, sidestand up and down
etc., I finally got it started and made it about another mile to where I was
actually going. By then the thought foremost in my mind was that the weather
was quite warm, the bike had been in heavy traffic, and it had probably
overheated, although the temp. gauge didn't indicate that at all, and the
fan hadn't even come on.
After parking the bike and visiting friends, I came down expecting it to
start straight away, having presumably cooled off in the meantime. But no
joy. Just that ominous click. Battery full of juice, double headlights
working a treat.
But this is where I started to notice the fine film of oil all over the
inside of the fairing, on the engine and even up on the side of the saddle.
So is this the dreaded oil leak everyone has been talking about? And does
this mean that the engine has actually seized up?
Hard to believe this could have developed so quickly - the bike only just
went in for the 6,000 mile service 10 days ago.
OK, it's still under warranty, but could it be something less serious than a
new engine?
I'll probably find out tomorrow - meantime I'm shattered, after waiting 2
1/2 hours for the SOS truck in central London!
Not sure which is the more incredible of the two events!

Tim