Brakes, Tunes, Fuel Leaks, Coolant Leaks, etc., etc., etc.

Well, I haven't had a good moan on the list as I didn't really class any of
my problems as too dramatic.

Had my 2K Sapphire ST into the dealer today, primarily to have the fuel
sender replaced, due to it being wildly inaccurate. New one seems to echo
others comments in that it now reads full until about half a tank then
reduces. At least I am not getting a fuel light on with half a tank as
before. No signs of a leak as yet. Time will tell.

Also had the minor coolant leak from the expansion tank. New cap has fixed
that.

I felt the engine had begun to run a bit rough recently and made comment of
that to the mechanic/technician. New tune, but don't know the version sorry.
The mechanic also mentioned that the chain adjustment was slightly out and
this would effect the running due to chain backlash through the transmission
to the engine. Guess he was right because with the combination of chain
adjustment and a re-load of the tune and it's like a new bike again.
Mysteriously seems to have smoothed the shift out too or is that just my
imagination?

My brakes had gone off big time in the last few days, to the extent that an
old twin leading shoe would have been more efficient. Not the spongy lever
syndrome, but the "just won't stop" syndrome along with a few weird noises
as it eventually did grind to a halt! Seems the OEM pads had glazed despite
having very little wear on them. Options: Clean the glaze off. Replace the
pads with OEM replacements at mega cost. Fit aftermarket alternatives. He
suggested EBC pads at 1/3 the cost of OEM, so I went with that. WOW! What a
difference!! Instant stop with single finger pressure. Got to be worth it.
Progressive and very efficient. Better than the OEM pads had ever been.  His
one comment was they won't have the life of OEM, but when that option is so
expensive and becomes useless when barely worn, who cares. It's EBC the next
time again for me. Pt No is FA236HH if it is of interest to others with
challenging brakes at the minute.

Removed the stock screen and fitted a "Powerbronze" Double Bubble. Zero G is
not a common make in UK!! Vast improvement, with much reduced wind blast and
a higher helmet contact point. Instead of trying to rip my Arai Quantum F
off and deafening me as air entered under the chin, the noise has abated and
I don't have strained neck muscles after high speed riding. The more
interesting thing is after fit of a Baglux Tank cover, primarily aimed at
reducing the amount of polishing the knee marks off the tank. Riding with
the tank cover and bag fitted, the noise and blast reduce even further! And
you have the lazy option of leaning on the bag. Bonus!

Sorry, no news on dying batteries, yet! I did however panic yesterday trying
to start it after a short ferry crossing last night. Lights but no ignition.
You guessed it. Some smart ass-hole had hit the "Kill Switch".

Finally an interesting Charity Ride Out last Sunday from Plymouth UK. 5,200
bikes. Quite a convoy!! Nightmare to park at the end of it all though!

Dave McCarthy

Had enough, gone out on the bike!!!