Re: Dealing with garage doors?

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Matt Knowles wrote:

> If the transmitter doesn't work on 12v, then I would have just run it off
> of the regular battery and tucked the unit under the seat, running a wire
> up to the dash with a switch. A little soldiering is all it would take.

Speaking of radioshack, if it runs under 12 volts you can probably get
a regulator/diodes to do the trick. For that matter, for all the current
the remote draws, you could just place the correct number of Si diodes
in series before the power (.7V drop each)

> I know OSH sells transmitters that are made to work with all units. You
> might look into one of those rather than tampering with the one that came
> with your rental unit.

In my complex, the garage door openers and the main gates work on
serial numbers. So you have to program the remote into the gate/door.
The apartment garage opener is not too bad to reprogramme, but
obviously you might not have access to the main gate. YMMV

Thomas (my friends call me Jerry)

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664